15 January 2008

My Peronal Statement

This is my sad attempt to write a personal statement for my Uni application. I haven't decided on any thing yet so don't panic. I just though it only cost £15 to apply so it doesn't hurt to open a door just in case. However I absolutely hate talking myself up, so the following is my best attempt to sell myself. I received comments saying it was too flowery (one I hear a lot about my writing), I got comments saying it was vague, other saying it was too proud, or not proud enough. Either way its done and sent so here it is...

There are many gifts I have been blessed with in my life, most of them in the form of knowledge and experience. The ones I find most helpful on a daily basis are a confident awareness that everyone deserves happiness, a knowledge that happiness is created not found and if you can find the pleasurable side of hard work, your successes will be many in number. However perhaps I should start from the beginning. My name is Clarice I am an American, full of enthusiasm, optimistic, and I have a slightly obsessive work ethic.

Starting from a young age I have been determined and goal oriented. Along with an unquenchable curiosity I have allowed myself to explore the world’s potential with great passion. Being granted by special petition to graduate a year early from secondary school with distinction I began my higher education in the performing arts. I travelled to New York City to begin my exploration of the centre of a great industry, and finally found my travels ending here in Edinburgh where I continued my career development with an HND in Musical Theatre achieving merits in the subject of dance for both years. This is when I discovered the abounding joy at waking up every day to something I love, and vowed no matter what I will pursue my dreams with relentless passion so that I may keep this sense of pride in my routine with me always.

In line with this personal goal I have continued my growth and education after graduation by taking dance classes in a variety of styles. Also I have started building the foundations of my career by choreographing a musical cabaret for a few of the students at Stevenson College. Currently I am preparing to teach an introductory course in Musical Theatre for the Adult Education Program funded by Edinburgh City Council. My highly organized skills have aided me greatly both in my education and employment. I have been able to maintain a high number of working hours in often more than one occupation simultaneously to fund my studies. Luckily I have been blessed with the ability to multitask, making the most of every situation or moment allowing me to continue with a rigorous schedule meeting the high goals I set for myself. Because of my cheery and optimistic personality I really enjoy working with others, and perform best in a team environment with goals or deadlines set before me. This is one of the many reasons I have chosen the arts as the direction of my career. I truly enjoy meeting new people and collaborating on projects, pulling together the strengths of each individual contributing to a common effort. I am aware of the competitive environment that one should be prepared for with a career in the arts. I thrive on challenges and take a great deal of personal pride in my achievements when I have accomplished a goal set before me weather personal or professional.

One of the wisest things I have learned to date is that the more I learn the more I am becoming aware of how much there is available to know. This is why I have decided to continue with my formal education in pursuit of a wider knowledge base to work with in my future career aspirations. I would like to thoroughly explore the aspects of visual and performing arts and their potential for amalgamation. I wish to gain a greater knowledge of the industry and the subtle idiosyncrasies that help distinguish those whom live for their work and those whom work for a living.

No comments: